HPI Issue #10: Deploying Distributed OSS at the Edge (Tutorial Edition)
As someone who uses cloud services and the command line for personal projects, one of the most satisfying feelings is successfully deploying and setting up a workload after following a tutorial. So when my manager pitched the idea of creating tutorials for developers interested in deploying distributed open source software (OSS) I responded with enthusiasm.
What better place to deploy distributed software than on a distributed platform like StackPath?
In this issue of High Performance Infrastructure, we’re featuring the initial tutorials we published that show developers how to deploy various distributed OSS on infrastructure that’s not only distributed, but much closer to end users than traditional cloud infrastructure.
If you have any suggestions for future tutorials, please send us a tweet!
Run an API Gateway at the Edge with Traefik and StackPath
Learn how to install and configure highly available, low-latency API gateways using an open source edge router and edge compute containers.
- Traefik is an open source edge router for the cloud.
- Traefik gateways can issue certificates, buffer and filter requests, and authenticate users right at the edge.
- This tutorial focuses on HTTP but traefik also works with TCP and UDP, allowing you to route content related to streaming, conferencing, and gaming.
Deploy a FoundationDB Cluster at the Edge with StackPath
Learn how to leverage StackPath’s low-latency edge compute VMs to run FoundationDB clusters.
- FoundationDB is an open source distributed NoSQL database released by Apple.
- FoundationDB has been designed from the ground up for distributed computing.
- To get the most out of FoundationDB’s performance features, you need to put the database cluster as close as possible to where it is needed (I.e at the edge.)
Deploy ClickHouse DBMS at the Edge with StackPath
Learn how to deploy ClickHouse to multiple points of presence using StackPath’s edge compute containers.
- ClickHouse is an open source, distributed column-based database for real-time analytics.
- This tutorial shows you how to deploy a single instance configuration and sharded cluster configuration.
- An overview of the benefits of column-based databases is also featured in this tutorial.